Sunday, January 15, 2006

Hi everyone,
well to tell you the truth i had completely forgotten about my blog, it wasnt until amy mentioned it to me on sunday morning at church, i felt quite embarrased lol i didnt think anyone would be able to find it, but now*ahem* i have nothing to hide!! lol i had at first intentioned my blog to be a place that no one would find me and i could just type out my thoughts, but alas anne found me! lol nah its all good :)
well the last time i blogged it was a general intro to moi, hope you didnt get too bored, i'll try to make my blogs insightfull like so many others... but yeah i'll see how that goes!

Well the last time i blogged alot of things have happened, I'm now an official first year freshie at the university of canterbury doing a bachelor of science majoring in chemistry, i'm also taking antarctica studies and spanish, next semester i'm also picking up astronomy! I was taking astrophysics this semester but after attending three lectures and one afternoon lab working out what projectile angle the sun rotates on in comparison to the earth i decided it probably was a wee bit over my head, so i decided to drop that and take up antarctica studies instead! One of my flatmates expressed how dissapointed he was in me because i had chosen a subject with cute fluffy things on ice over physics in space. (He is one of these fellas who is WAY into his sci fi stuff and thought very highley of me when i was taking astrophysics). But yeah antarctica studies is great! dead easy and there is no end of year exam only 4 tests during the year worth 25% each. When i first enrolled i was thinking i could be a high school chemistry teacher in south america with a hobby for star gazing, but yeah now i can talk spanish to the penguins and teach them about chemistry with a hobby for star gazing!

So yeah a bit of a mix! I'm really enjoying it, but there never seems to be enough hours in a day, i'm finding it a wee bit difficult to fit in extra study time around going to lectures and working. I was actually told off yesterday for attempting to study at my desk at work.... even tho the amount of study i would probably get done is slim to none considering its a noisey call center, apparently i can scan my text books into the computer and study that way, i can study and read off the internet but i'm actually not allowed to read or study a book at my desk.... seems a wee bit odd to me but oh well gotta do what the boss tells me! I guess it is a wee bit unproffessional.... but hey i mean i think professionalism went out the window when i walked in one day with my hair dreaded hehehehehe

So yeah i got dreads, they took from 9 in the morning to 3.30 in the afternoon with two people working on my hair to get them done, it was VERY painfull... i cried! Reasons for getting them - i've alwayz wanted dreads - since i was 16 actually but of course mum wouldnt let me, she wasnt too keen when i told her i was going to get them but i tell ya her expressions of dissapproval had very little effect as she is such a great distance away from me, my dad also wasnt too enthusiastic either but when he visited two weeks ago he actually said that they suited me! So yeah i think that means he is ok with me having the dreads! So yeah, they weren't done out of rebellion, i dont really have anything to rebel against! I figured since i was starting university and working in a call centre i figured that i wouldnt have such an oppertunity again to do something crazy with my hair. I like them :) they are a wee bit weird to sleep on and the wax i use on them gets pretty much everywhere, its a dark brown wax so i cant really wear white tops without staining it, so yeah my already black wardrobe has just gotten a whole lot blacker!

what else is new... ah yes so it turns out that i'm living with three boys.... again! When i first moved down t christchurch i knew one other person who is also from auckland and he got me a room in the place him and his two other friends were living, when i first moved down here i kinda didnt have anywhere else to go so i stuck around with those three boys for a while, after getting sick of the "washing maching" aka the metal box that makes a lot of noise and pretends to wash your clothes when they actually come out alot dirtier than when they went in. And also the bathroom cieling whose mould actually grew down from the cieling on to you... There was a few other things that prompted my move out but i hope you get the general gist from the above two hygiene issues i had, anyway thats when i moved in to hornbrook street and discovered Opawa Baptist so really it was a good thing i moved out, anywayz whilst there i was living with one other lady and two cats in a BEAUTIFUL clean home with no mould and a washing machine AND a dryer. So yeah was very happy there and with the convieneance of rolling out of bed and being at church 5 mins later was a huge plus! But then of course after deciding to go back to uni thought it migh be an idea to kind of move closer and with a fewmore students, but also to make things a wee bit cheaper, thus i moved in with friend of mine called Bryce and who already had a flat set up so it was me, him and this other dude called neil, and then about a month ago we got a third guy in called Patrick. (bryce did try and get a girl in just to keep things even but by then uni had already started and girls being smart and organised they had all sorted out places to live. so we got another guy) so yeah i now find myself in pretty much the same situation as i was in when i first moved to chirstchurch! The difference being that we have a really blinging washing machine which resembles Rd-d2 or whoever that freaky little robot is off starwars, and out bathroom never seems to grow mould! theres some other benefits aswell ..... like our lounge is pretty much a mini movie theatre - Bryce bought a data projector so the back wall IS our tv screen, we have surround sound and a log burner aswell so awesome entertainment and cheap heating! woo hoo! other benefits is that we have converted the dining room into what the boys like to call our "show office" its basically a study area thing is i actually do study in it, i get told off all the time for doing this as it is apparently a "show office" - not actually to be used. Great thing about it is that its right by the kitchen so very easy access to fridge and pantry! :)

So yeah life is going pretty good at the moment, I have a wedding to look foward to ( not my own ) my cousin is getting married! My extended family all live in England, the girl he is marrying is actually from christchurch, so they are all coming on down to christchurch for the wedding! Its to take place in about 2 weeks at the nurses chapel by the hospital - very handy just in case the grandparents have a heartattack when they see the dreads ;) So yeah i get to hang out with my family for a wee while which will be nice.

So who is looking forward to winter? I AM!!!! yeay snow!!!! apparently its supposed to be a really good snow season due to the patterns of good year - bad year - good year - bad year and also because every decade ie 1976, 1986, 1996 have all been tremendous in terms of huge snow dumps so yeay!!! I've already got the season pass sorted out and for my 21st the folks are getting me a snowboard! so yeah i'll see the rest of you snowbunnys up on the mountain! yea-arrr! hehehe

anyway hope you enjoy this long one

catch y'all later

love
Shelly

2 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Blogger Rayd said...

Sure tok a while to get through.
Glad you started blogging again.
Sounds like life is going pretty sweet for you atm. :D

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger amy said...

Wohoo! You're back!

Very impressive looonnnng blog entry ;) great to hear stuff going on in your life.

Your flat sounds cool ;)

Hope you get the study/work/life balance sorted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home